Monday 17 February 2014

A seriously arrogant error of judgement

Earlier today I had a good rant about the seeming lack of action from Second Life's most used Viewer - Firestorm.

I say this with almost bile in my throat that today, buried somewhere deep in the transcripts of Satudays Firestorm meeting is this quote.

"The next release of Firestorm will be out around March 9th – possibly a little before, possibly after."

I was partly joking when I said it could be weeks or months...

This leaves me in a very bad place for Violet Studios, as it also leave many other mesh creators in similar places.
Fitted Mesh is here, and apparently many TPV makers are now adopting it.
This is a critical update to SL - without Fitted Mesh, you cant see the many things people are designing.

And the makers Second Life's most used viewer are effectively snubbing their users, supporters and even Linden Lab by saying "they really couldnt care - we will get it out when we feel like it".

I have been hearing today that several companies released Fitted Mesh products the moment it was released and over the coming weeks, Fitted mesh will become a popular trending product on the grid.

This is a dilemma.
Wait for Firestorm to do what they do, or get my products out and tell people to stop using Firestorm as "it isnt up to the latest Second Life Standards".

If I wait, I risk being left behind commercially.
If I release, I risk people shouting at me because they are still using Firestorm.

Sadly, considering the sheer volume of time we are looking at here, I dont have much choice really.
I have to do whats right for my business, not for Firestorms user figures.

I have no choice but to advise people to stop using Firestorm as its outdated and doesnt feature the latest critical Second Life updates.
I am sure when they see their user figures dropping through the floor, they may actually have a quick rethink about their pedantically slow release time table.


Sorry Firestorm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.